Recently i installed a S6760 notebook from MM Vision. Its a rebranded Clevo Notebook.
I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on it, but to unfortunately the notebook restarted itself after around two minutes. Looking in the logs a line suggested that it had to do with the nouveau driver for Nvidia graphics.
Here is what i did to get rid of the problem.
- Hold down shift during boot, now you get to the grub menu press ‘e’ for edit
- Find the line starting with linux, at the end add “nouveau.modeset=0” without quotes
- Press F10 and the system boots and voila it does not shutdown
Now you need to add this permanently to linux:
- Open a command prompt
- Edit the file /etc/default/grub for example with nano
- Edit one line, it could look like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash”
- And after you have edited, it looks like this GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash foo=bar nouveau.modset=0″
- Now save the settings (ctrl+x in nano)
- And save with the command “sudo update-grub”
This does not give you a good driver for your Nvidia Geforce GTX card, but it lets you start and find a better suited driver without having only two minutes to fix it before the system reboots.